Covering the basic skills that one needs to counsel, this is a must-read for anyone who feels called to help people dealing with the crises of life.
Called to Counsel is a manual that teaches a variety of counseling tools and techniques to counseling students and trainees. Written from an unambiguously Christian perspective, some of the skills training issues this book covers include:
- Structuring a counseling interview
- Developing advanced listening skills
- Connecting emotions and values
- Using probes and prompts
- Learning about action planning
- Integrating the use of Scripture and prayer in counseling